Monday, May 14, 2012

9 мая -- день Победы

Ninth of May -- Victory Day, that is to us who only speak 'Murrican ;)


This is Russia's Celebration of V-E Day, and it's pretty cool. People always tell me May is the prime month of the year in Russia, and part of Victory Day's charm is that it's always warm and sunny for the parade. Not so, my friends. The one year that Katie gets to spend at the Victory Day parade: CLOUDY AND COLD. "No matter," said we, as my family and I got up early to get a good spot along Тверская Yлица (Tverskaya Street) so that we could see the infamous parade. 



So these bad boys were parked right in front of us for about 20 minutes while the other half of the parade merged onto the street ahead. They say it's the only day that police officers and military guys smile and wave at people. And wave they did! They tried to ignore us for a while, but the Burt girls in my ward and I wouldn't give up. We got a smile and a wave. 





Mоя семья. My family. I don't think you're ready for this jelly. Oh check out my mom's flag. People wave these and tie orange&black striped ribbon to cars and bags and everything. The orange represents the fire from the war and the black represents smoke. I'm pretty sure...





Alright, HOW COOL is that? It's huge, and just driving through the square. Mark's quote was "Why doesn't America have this stuff?!" To which my dad explained that they do, they just don't flaunt it. Then of course we had an active definition of the word "flaunt" for Mark. I swear, living with these people is something else. I also like this picture because you can see one of Moscow's many statues that mark historical events. Right below this spot is a very important Metro stop, I just learned. Stalin addressed a crowd in the central hall of the station, which is the first to sport a new colonnade style when built in 1938 (for my fellow lovers of architecture).





The whole group. Now how does it feel, friends, to not be in this picture? Pretty bad right? Lucky for you, there are tons of things like this in Moscow, so if you visit me, we can take pictures and talk about our wicked experiences at historical sites. Sounds awesome, right? I know. More to come soon! Until next time, до свидания!

No comments:

Post a Comment